The church on Fife Street is one of the earliest Roman Catholic churches to be built in the area. The modern town of Dufftown was laid out in 1817 and the church was built eight years later. The Rev George Gordon, who studied at the Scots College, Valladolid in Spain, obtained the land and, it is believed, wished it to be modelled on the Reliquary Chapel there. The new priest at Keith, Rev Walter Lovi also gave a hand in planning the design; he was garnering support for a church in Keith at the time. The Right Rev James Kyle, an architect, and man of many talents provided the final plan. James Kyle also designed the Church of the Annunciation and Presbytery at Portsoy in 1829; St Margaret’s Huntly, the Chapel House, Preshome, St Peter’s Buckie and several others.

A century later in, 1925, the chancel was enlarged and a new altar and oak reredos, designed by architect Patrick Devlin, was installed. This back screen can still be seen today. Angels playing various musical instrument including bagpipes were once depicted on the ceiling but they are no longer in view.

Eighty five years later this beautiful little church is in dire need of a refurbishment so that it can reach its 200th anniversary as a flourishing place of worship.